Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Positive Change

A couple days ago I got pretty hot under the collar when a friend sent me a job ad that mentioned that membership in the teachers union was a requirement for the job. That's not legal in California, and I let you, my readers, know how I felt about it.

After I calmed down, I contacted another friend, this one being the President of the California Teachers Empowerment Network. I suggested he write a polite letter to the Rocklin administration, explaining their error and offering a suggestion as to how they could word their ads legally.

Not long thereafter, he received a very polite reply from the district superintendent acknowledging the mistake and promising to have it corrected. Below are the "before" and "after" shots of the ad. Note the "Employment Standards" at the bottom of each.




I'm very pleased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren..is there a similar organization for teachers in Ohio who can't stand the union blackmail game?

Darren said...

The Assn. of American Educators is a nationwide "professional organization", not a union. I use some of my union rebate money to pay my $150/year AAE membership fees. I get better liability insurance through AAE than CTA members get, too :-)