Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'd Be Sued

The lawsuit, which a judge recently ruled would be heard by the B.C. Supreme Court, is one example of a growing trend of parents who, unhappy with their children's education, take their complaints to court. But it is also a sign of the extended reach of parental meddling. Increasingly, teachers are being challenged in court, in cases that accuse them of everything from emotional distress to victimization for offences that range from handing out low marks to punishing too harshly.

Emotional duress? Low grades? Oh yeah, I'd be sued for those. Guess I won't be moving to British Columbia any time soon, but I wonder how much longer I'll be safe from such suits here in California.

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

I had just such a parent in a meeting last year. His daughter hadn't put her name on anything and so was failing the class. This very large and angry walrus of a man entered my class threatening me because I said that I would take nameless papers if they were claimed "no questions asked." He especially hated that phrase, for what reason I still don't have a clue. I am so very glad I had the girl's AP in the meeting because he was determined to break me down at any cost. His daughter, who was supposedly a big basketball star, strangely isn't on even the JV team this year. It seems that she isn't quite as perfect as he thought. I just hope someday he has the good grace to admit he was wrong in what amounted to a verbal threat. But I am not holding my breath. It's the blame game-easier to blame a teacher you don't know rather than to hold your own kid accountable.