Monday, February 23, 2009

I Thought This Was A Gay Event

Come on, calling an event Pink Friday--what the heck was I supposed to think?

March 13 is the deadline for school districts to issue preliminary pink slips to California's teachers. Last year, more than 10,000 teachers got pink slips and nearly 5,000 lost their jobs. And this year could be much worse.

Please join us on Friday, March 13 and Stand Up for Schools.
What You Can Do
1. Wear pink on Friday, March 13 to show your support for public schools, students and educators.

2. Organize or attend an event at a school near you.

3. Call or e-mail your Legislator. Tell them that investing in public education is an investment in California's future.

Go take a look-see at the web site. It's certainly not easy to tell that this is a CTA-created event, is it? Who, then, is running this so-called grassroots event?

Whatever. Back to the event.
1. I will not wear pink that Friday. I don't have anything pink. If I did, it wouldn't be pink. It would salmon, or something. And I don't have anything salmon, either.
2. While I'm hoping not to be pink-slipped, I will not be organizing or attending any such events. Unlike our friends on the left, I recognize the need to cut costs--yes, even in government!
3. My legislators would tell me they understand that "investing" in public education is good for California. That, however, doesn't pay today's bills. Shouldn't we now be reaping the benefits of previous "investments" in public education?

OK, so I'm not thrilled at this organized "event". I'd prefer to go to a "pink slip party", have a few drinks, and eat snackies. At least something positive would come from that event--I'd be fed, and I'd forget the pain of being laid off for a few hours.

CTA really needs someone more adept at naming events.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a conservative history teacher from the central valley and some of my colleagues and myself are proposing a "red, white, and blue" ribbon day for the 13th in supposrt of those teachers that got laid off, but also the values of limited government, fiscal responsibility, and the civic virtues expounded by the Founding Fathers.

Darren said...

Hear hear!

Anonymous said...

RobertD: If you get laid off, I know of an online school that I really think could use you!!!

Darren said...

How about me, PeggyU???

Unknown said...

The NHL is going a breast cancer benefit thing. Seeing a hockey fight between two big players in pink jerseys is truly a sight you'll never forget.

Anonymous said...

I think that this protest is completely misdirected. It is obvious that cuts need to be made. WA DC is the perfect example of how money does not equate a good education. The state is not firing teachers, the school districts are. They can easily cut programs that are wasteful like the useless BTSA program that costs almost 100 million dollars. Also, we can get rid of the state portion of the free lunch program. These forms are never even checked. There are many ways that the districts can trim the fat without firing teachers.