Thursday, March 27, 2008

Court Would Be The "Equal And Opposite Reaction"

Newton's laws still hold:

A high school student had an abortion after falling pregnant to her physics teacher, a jury has been told.

Stephen Peter Morrow, 55, is on trial in the County Court charged with 11 counts of sexual penetration of a 16- or 17-year-old child under his care, supervision or authority.

He has pleaded not guilty to all counts.

But wait, it gets better.

Prosecutor Daryl Wraith said the girl was a student at a Melbourne school when the pair struck up a relationship in the 1990s.

He told the jury that Morrow used to pick up the girl after school and they would have sex in his car up to three times a week.


In the 90s??? Long statute of limitations in Australia.

But wait, there's even more.

Wraith said that about four months into the relationship the girl discovered she was pregnant...

The relationship continued after the abortion, with the pair sometimes going to motels, the prosecutor said.


Well, it's a step up from the car, I guess. The rest of the story is here.

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

Here's a scary reality. On our school's website they post a link to the local police departments blog of registered sex offenders. Ever since they began posting, I would check, mostly for my kids' safety. Imagine my shock when I saw the stepfather of one of my daughter's former high school boyfriends on the list. What is worse, he was convicted of assault on an 11 year old. And he married a woman with three kids, two of them girls. It just makes me shudder. Although I have to say, he was very nice to our family, but then again, I would imagine if he's registered, he has to walk on eggshells.

Anonymous said...

Statute of limitations is, I believe, an American not a Commonwealth idea. I am pretty sure there is no such thing in the UK.