Sunday, March 30, 2008

Civil Rights, Then and Now

Long time readers of this blog will know that I am a big fan of the civil rights movement, especially that of the 1950s and 60s. I've written about my adoration of Rosa Parks' bravery, my belief that Roosevelt should be removed from the dime and replaced with Dr. King, and my admiration for the execution of Operation Arkansas and for the moral clarity of President Eisenhower and the mayor of Little Rock. The reason I'm such an ardent supporter of civil rights is easy--I'm an American, and I believe in fairness.

Sadly, that herculean effort, which culminated (right about the time I was born) with the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, has now rotted. These words strike me as true:

Longshoreman philosopher Eric Hoffer once wrote that all great movements eventually become a business, then degenerate into a racket.

That is certainly true of the civil rights movement. Begun with just demands for an end to state-mandated discrimination based on race, it ends with unjust demands for state-mandated preferences, based on race. (boldface mine--Darren)
Good job, race hustlers of today's so-called civil rights movement. You've got me agreeing with Pat Buchanan here.

No comments: