Wednesday, October 20, 2021

A Small Victory

The lowest level course I currently teach is Financial Math.  Yes, I have some high-achieving students in the class who genuinely want to learn some financial literacy, but most students are in there to complete their graduation requirement of passing a second year of math.  Thus, most students, while perhaps interested in the material, aren't going to put in any more effort than is necessary to pass.

So it was a big deal this afternoon when one of my students came in after school.  She told me she just doesn't understand what we're learning right now.  What, exactly, is the difference between a debit card and a credit card?  What, exactly, is interest?

We teachers love it when kids ask questions so that they can understand, not just so they can pass a test!  And 15 minutes later, when she left, she had a much better grasp of the topic of credit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I were still a student at RAHS, I'd want to take that class for sure!