Wednesday, August 30, 2006

More For The Global Warming Crowd

The Boston Globe recently ran a story about "MIT's Alfred P. Sloan professor of meteorology Richard Lindzen", who doesn't toe the party line when it comes to global warming.

Lindzen acknowledges that global warming is real, and he acknowledges that increased carbon emissions might be causing the warming -- but they also might not.

``We do not understand the natural internal variability of climate change" is one of Lindzen's many heresies, along with such zingers as ``the Arctic was as warm or warmer in 1940," ``the evidence so far suggests that the Greenland ice sheet is actually growing on average," and ``Alpine glaciers have been retreating since the early 19th century, and were advancing for several centuries before that. Since about 1970, many of the glaciers have stopped retreating and some are now advancing again. And, frankly, we don't know why."

This isn't what the environmentalist zealots want to hear, especially from an MIT meteorology professor. And I like the Globe reporter's comment about stifling opposing viewpoints:

He's smart. He's an effective debater. No wonder the Steve Schneiders and Al Gores of the world don't want you to hear from him. It's easier to call someone a shill and accuse him of corruption than to debate him on the merits.


I've said several times on this blog with regards to global warming--the climate has changed several times in recorded history and several more times in pre-history, which we only know about through scientific research. I'm not yet convinced that man is responsible for this current change, or that we can do anything about it other than adapt to it.

If you want me to believe, you must convince me, not call me names until I believe.

Update, 9/3/06: He he:

Climate statistics show that, with all the "global warming" hysteria today, our temperatures are still not as high as they were back in medieval times. Those medieval folks must have been driving a lot of cars and SUVs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you want me to believe, you must convince me, not call me names until I believe."

This is exactly how I feel... about religion.

Darren said...

Within the last couple weeks I've read that the ozone layer is "repairing itself". I'll search for references.

Darren said...

Thanks to MikeAT:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/26may_ozone.htm

Anonymous said...

Not yet at levels reached during the Middle Ages?

http://whyfiles.org/211warm_arctic/images/atmo_temp_change.gif

http://whyfiles.org/211warm_arctic/images/1000yr_change.jpg