Monday, July 11, 2005

Why They Hate Us

And we all know which "they" I mean.

From the UK's Mirror web site:

We know very well what the "grievances" of the jihadists are.

The grievance of seeing unveiled women. The grievance of the existence, not of the State of Israel, but of the Jewish people. The grievance of the heresy of democracy, which impedes the imposition of sharia law. The grievance of a work of fiction written by an Indian living in London. The grievance of the existence of black African Muslim farmers, who won't abandon lands in Darfur. The grievance of the existence of homosexuals. The grievance of music, and of most representational art. The grievance of the existence of Hinduism. The grievance of East Timor's liberation from Indonesian rule. All of these have been proclaimed as a licence to kill infidels or apostates, or anyone who just gets in the way.
...

The grievances I listed above are unappeasable, one of many reasons why the jihadists will lose.

They demand the impossible - the cessation of all life in favour of prostration before a totalitarian vision. Plainly, we cannot surrender. There is no one with whom to negotiate, let alone capitulate.

To that I can only add a loud and thunderous "amen".


4 comments:

Darren said...

I just posted this for my conservative readers. You know it's really *our* fault they hate us.

{sarcasm light is not *off*}

Darren said...

Most people with political ideas *do* have an agenda. That's kind of the idea. The question is whether or not I agree with what he wrote, and I do.

Phyllis S said...

Ah, those pesky agendas. They're just so damn suspect. Especially the ones I...don't agree with (my sarcasm light is on and flashing, by the way).

I'm not conservative and I agree with him. The fact is, the Darfur situation is one of their grievances. Being rational is not necessarily their strong suit (light still flashing, by the way).

Darren said...

I like the comment about the American flag and the (lack of) Koran on the moon. I'll file that one away in the back of my brain--it's a great zinger!