Friday, July 08, 2005

Former Union President

My former union President, who was coincidentally enough pictured on page 30 of the May California Educator magazine, said the following at the last union meeting of the school year (and it is a paraphrase):
I'm going back to the classroom, and boy, these new math standards--I tell
you, they're tough. I'm going to have to go back and do some serious studying...


Her term as union President is up and she's going back to a third grade classroom. I refer you to this post to discuss how much math any teacher should know, and here to find out what exactly California's third grade math standards are.

This, my readers, is our problem in a nutshell.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren:

Please tell me she was kidding...

On another note... Hear of a Social Science jobs recently?

Chris

Darren said...

Unfortunately, no is the answer to both parts of your comment. Sad, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

yikes.

By the way, you noted that you were paraphrasing. Do you have a link to the full text of the remarks?

I'd just like to confirm independently whether this is as scary as it appears :-)

Regards
Krill

Darren said...

There is no text. I heard about it, in exasperation, from a colleague who heard her say it at the meeting.

Yes, it's hearsay. But I trust the word of this particular person--the type of person who would *not* make up something, especially something of this importance.

Darren said...

Here in California results are reported by school, not individual teachers.