Thursday, November 13, 2014

Why Is This "Disruptive"?

Things are "disruptive" if we let them be, if we give succor to other people's insecurities and stupidities.  If I've said it once I've said it a zillion times:  if it's not illegal, what school officials do on their own time is no one's business but their own.  Yes, I can understand certain specific activities might be genuinely "disruptive"--how do you handle a class of kids who have seen your nude spread on the internet--but in general what we have is a bunch of people trying to impose some wacky sort of Victorian morality on teachers:
A Connecticut middle school principal has resigned amid questions about his role in making violent movies featuring scantily clad women.

Officials announced Mark Foley's resignation as Granby Memorial Middle School principal Wednesday.

Superintendent Alan Addley says Foley did nothing illegal. But he says Foley acknowledged that his movies became a "distraction" and he didn't want continuing media coverage to distract students, parents or staff from academic work.
He makes erotic slasher films.  And that's enough to have him removed from being principal?  Geez, I hope he didn't also own stock in a firearms company or Philip Morris, those would be even more unforgiveable!  Ohmigawd, what if someone saw him at a restaurant drinking a beer?!

And before anyone jumps in with how unions are necessary to protect people from such silliness, I point out that this occurred in Connecticut, a very "blue" state.  I also remind you of the butt-print artist, a story from Virginia.

Update:  more on the topic here.

3 comments:

allen (in Michigan) said...

Perfectly understandable if you keep in mind he's not really working for an organization focused on education.

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that you are not really a conservative. Most of the objections to the "fresh blood, hot babes" movies were from profamily conservatives.

You are more of a libertarian.

Darren said...

I'm not a puritan. And I *do* have a libertarian streak in me, but I'll stick with self-identifying as conservative, thankyouverymuch.