Thursday, August 01, 2019

Trekcetera Museum Is No More

Three years ago I drove my Camry, towing the USS Egg-terprise, to Vulcan, Alberta, Canada, to attend the 50th Anniversary Star Trek Convention there, Vul-Con:

There's a long story explaining why Vulcan is the official Star Trek Capital of Canada, but let's just accept that it is and move on with the story.

One of the storefronts in that small town of less than 2000 was the Trekcetera Museum:
This museum contained (genuine) uniforms and props from many different Star Trek series and movies and was, quite honestly, one of the coolest things around.  They probably don't have such an impressive museum at Paramount itself:

(The two actors in the latter picture both spoke at Vul-con.)

At Vul-con, the owner of the museum spoke and told everyone that he was moving the museum to another small town.  Why, when Vulcan is the Star Trek Capital of Canada?  He had his reasons, but I wondered if the museum would survive anywhere but Vulcan.

It didn't:
Sadly, the Trekcetera Museum closed this year, but now you can own a piece of the museum.  Propworx has been chosen to sell all of the assets of the museum.  And so on Sunday, August 18th, 2019, all the props and costumes and posters from the museum will be up for auction on the Liveauctioneers website, which Propworx has used for almost 10 years.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren, do you have any information about why they closed? Retirement, poor revenue, what?

They should be able to sell off everything and make some decent money of it. Sorry I never had a chance to get there and see it myself.

Erik

Darren said...

These two articles, read in order, seem to explain what happened:
https://fanfilmfactor.com/2017/10/02/please-help-star-trek-museum-needs-10000-from-fans-in-24-hours/

https://www.gluseum.com/CA/Drumheller/150043111842286/Trekcetera-Museum

Unknown said...

Good information on both, but especially the second link. Do you have any link showing how the August Propworx auction went? Alec Peters and his Axanar team have finally reached their first day of shooting today, and I was surprised and glad to see he had visited and taken an interest in reopening the museum in 2020. I visited Vulcan on my own in Oct. 2010, but the museum was closed. I got some great pictures through the windows and around it (of exhibits) at the time. But is was early morning (7-8am), so I missed seeing inside. I did plug it heavily with Facebook friends at the time, and I did contribute to the Go Fund Me effort in 2017. I didn't hear back but figured it was still open until I did a search and just learned what happened. Alec is an excellent guy, and I hope they have success with reopening the museum.

Darren said...

I wasn't going to buy anything--the pre-auction prices were pretty high--so I didn't follow up on how the auction went.