Saturday, August 03, 2019

The Check Was In The Mail And I Didn't Even Know It

Yesterday's mail brought an envelope with a strange return address--what appeared to be a court case and a PO Box number.  I opened it to find a check for $91.94 attached to the following stub:
I looked up the case and here's what I found:
Nearly 2 million Oregonians began receiving checks in the mail last week for $91.94. And they’ll get a similar check this time next year...

The money came from a class-action judgment against BP in a case titled Scharfstein v. BP West Coast Products. That company owns the Arco gas station chain and the affiliated am/pm convenience stores. A Multnomah County jury found more than five years ago that they had overcharged customers who paid with their debit cards and the judge in the case ordered BP to pay $409 million...

The verdict applied to customers who paid with debit cards at Oregon Arco and am/pm locations between January 1, 2011 and August 31, 2013. Oregon’s Department of Justice said 1.7 million customers will get the checks.
A look through my pictures, all catalogued on my computer, reminds me that I drove through Oregon en route to a San Juan Island and Victoria, BC, trip in the summer of 2013.  Must've used the ATM card for gas.

Update, 7/28/20:  When I got home from Yellowstone there was another check waiting for me, this one for $94.42.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also received one of these checks. Are they good? Don't want to compromise my account.