Sunday, August 04, 2019

Goals, Mission Statements, Etc.

Every couple of years we at my school update and rename our "Student Learner Outcomes" (I think that's the current term).  We also have things like a mission statement, maybe a vision statement, and lord knows what else.  I don't often read them and certainly don't use them as any sort of guide for what or how I teach.

Came across this today and thought it made sense:
I have spent the last 20 years when teaching org theory saying that if you can't specify your org's actual goal in 25 words or less, using no more than 2 sentences and a single comma, then you don't really know what your goal is.

I also point out that if you cannot measure whatever constitutes progress towards that known goal then the goal itself is probably worthless.

Finally, I used to ask my students to write down, using my rules, what the actual goal of the university they were attending was. I had to quit that because it was making both them and I too depressed.
That comment comes from an article called What Are Schools For.

Just for smiles and giggles, here are the mission statements from our 3 primary service academies.

West Point:
The mission of the United States Military Academy is “to educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the Nation as an officer in the United States Army.”

Naval Academy:
"To develop Midshipmen morally, mentally and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, honor and loyalty in order to graduate leaders who are dedicated to a career of naval service and have potential for future development in mind and character to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship and government."

Air Force Academy:
We educate, train, and inspire men and women to become officers of character motivated to lead the United States Air Force in service to our nation.

I like the brevity and clarity of USAFA's mission statement.

No comments: