RightWingProf at Right Wing Nation has tagged me with an interesting meme:
Six Weird Things About Me
1. I don't like strawberries. I like strawberry jelly, strawberry Jell-O, strawberry Pop-Tarts, strawberry Starburst, strawberry punch--in short, just about anything strawberry-flavored. Just not real strawberries. Or strawberry ice cream. Eww.
2. I have a weird fear of heights--I'm only afraid of heights when I'm connected to the ground. I don't like being anywhere near the edge of my roof, I don't like riding in glass elevators outside of tall buildings, I don't like looking down through the almost-horizontal glass in the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas. However, I always ride in glass elevators outside of buildings, because I don't want to go to my grave not having faced my irrational fear. I can be outside on top of the Stratosphere Tower, and feel perfectly safe behind the anti-jumper fence. I love flying and almost always try to get a window seat. In parachute school I was the first man out of the plane on one jump, and I got to stand in the doorway of a C-141--and even lean out of it to check out the Alabama-Georgia countryside--at 2000 feet and thought that was awesome. I've flown in a Huey with the side door open, and nothing to keep me from falling out but a thin piece of cloth around my waist, with no problem. Roof? No way.
3. I'm a Republican who teaches. In California. And I'm not even masochistic.
4. I like escargots. I've been known on rare occasions to buy canned snails and cook/serve them; I even have genuine shells in which to serve them to guests.
5. After I got out of the Army I had a true crisis of faith. I studied Islam, with a desire to convert. Fortunately I gave up on that after awhile.
6. When I moved from my last house to my current one, I changed which side of the bed I sleep on--but it's still the side near the bedroom door. When I stay in hotels, it doesn't matter which side (if one bed) or which bed (if two) I sleep on.