Saturday, September 27, 2014

Could Fall Be Approaching, Or Is This Just A Tease?

I mentioned previously that it rained a little on Thursday, and last night there was a bit of rain as well as lightning and thunder.  And today it's nice out, temperatures only in the mid-70s.  Evenings are kind of cool.

It's not even October yet, so even if cooler weather is approaching there's still the advent of the so-called Indian Summer to look forward to next month.  And if the seasons hold, that will be summer's last gasp.

Today I took out the furnace filters and gave them a good cleaning.  Even turned the furnace on for a few minutes; doors and windows have been open all day so that burned dust smell won't permeate the house and won't be present that first time I fire up the furnace for real.  I've lit some candles--I like the ambiance, including the smell, of a room lit with candles, even if the lights are on.

I hope we have a long, wet winter.

4 comments:

pseudotsuga said...

Good luck with the rain--your Central Valley desperately needs it (and the snowpack, of course).

PeggyU said...

It feels like fall here too. Mornings are cool and foggy. By afternoon, it has lifted and we get sun. Evening is very crisp now, and the leaves are turning. The trees in the orchard are loaded with apples and hazel nuts.

Jerry Doctor said...

Whenever I hear the term "Indian Summer" I'm reminded of Lucy explaining to Charlie Brown that this was a trick the Indians used to fool the settlers.

allen (in Michigan) said...

In the Detroit area it's been almost unreasonably pleasant. During a time of the year I associate with blustery winds, fairly common rain and temperatures in the fifties it's been in the seventies all week long and it won't be until the end of the week that the temperatures start to assume a range I associate with autumn.

We had a pretty tough last winter so, taking a page from the left wing book of solutions, I've decided to hope we have a more pleasant winter this time around. But that's as far as I'm willing to go. With the best will in the world I can't quite find it in me to become upset that the universe isn't bowing to my needs.