Friday, November 19, 2010

Loaded Language and Half-Truths

From The Nation:

Women fell two votes short on Wednesday to coming closer to getting paid the same as men for the same work. Senate Republicans decided that equal pay for women should not even be considered, as they blocked the Paycheck Fairness Act from moving to the floor.

It goes downhill from there.

I guess no one expects The Nation to give even the appearance of impartiality; in fact, they're pretty upfront about their biases. But as the old saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

When someone can give me some evidence that women are not paid the same as men for the same work, perhaps I'll listen. When someone can show me that the two major federal gender discrimination laws already on the books are not working, perhaps I'll listen. When someone can show me that the recent study that shows that overall pay for women is slightly less than for men because of choices women make (lower paying fields like social work, more part-time work, more time out of the workforce to raise families), then perhaps I'll listen.

Until then, I'm not buying into the victimhood, gender warfare, and political shenanigans, and neither is this woman.

3 comments:

maxutils said...

Agreed. All of these studies are based on at best shoddy, and more likely intentionally skewed statistics, as well as apple to fire truck comparisons.

JH Bassist said...

The left's idea of a 'just' society is that it MUST be engineered. They will NEVER, EVER part ways with this social constructionist idea - no matter past evidence of failure. It's Marxist Utopianism writ large, and what I would expect from the Nation, which is more or less up front about its ideology.

I find it boring - don't you?

Suzanne Lucas said...

Thanks for the link.

As a woman, I get so frustrated with other women who blame their problems on this "unfairness." I make choices, you make choices, we all make choices.

There are consequences to those choices.