Friday, November 05, 2010

Very Cool. Literally.

A lifelong dream comes one step closer to reality.

My mother was in the army when I was a child, and in the summer of 1974 I flew with grandma to Germany to visit her. I fell asleep shortly after we took off from Oakland. When I woke up I pulled up the window screen, and 35,000 feet below I saw the strangest, most beautiful, most wondrous place imaginable. I decided at that moment that I would have to go there some day--I'd have to go to Iceland.

Tonight I booked my flight and hotel. I'll be there 37 years after the first, and last, time I saw it.

7 comments:

pseudotsuga said...

Oh, very cool! I'd love to visit Iceland too--it's like a place apart on Earth. Besides, they need your cash after the recent bank failure, right? ;-)

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Congrats! I hope you have a lovely trip! :)

Warren Popp said...

Sounds great! As our age increases, more of our dreams become reality.

Mike Thiac said...

Excellent....u doing this alone or you bringing Austin?

Darren said...

I'm going with a friend from high school. Austin's going with grandma to Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

One cool thing (no pun intended) about Icelandic culture is that they have retained a feature of family names that has rather faded away in Denmark. Everyone is familiar with the -sen ending on family names (e.g Andersen), but in Iceland they also have -dottir (e.g Andersdottir). For some reason I find that pretty cool.

Darren said...

And wives don't take their husband's last names. So a family of two parents, a son, and a daughter can all have different last names!