Saturday, November 20, 2010

College Degrees

From the major Sacramento newspaper:

While that may not seem like an earth-shattering revelation, a Bee analysis of new Census Bureau data lays out the stark contrasts between chosen disciplines in illuminating detail. Is your child, for instance, thinking about …

… a philosophy degree? Philosophy graduates in California last year were about five times as likely to be unemployed as nursing graduates.

… ethnic studies? Computer engineering graduates in California typically make twice as much.

… a drama degree? Theater majors were about eight times as likely to work in the food services industry as those with accounting degrees.

Any college degree is valuable. California college graduates in every popular discipline made more last year and were more likely to be employed than Californians with just a high school diploma. The income and employment gap between those with a college degree and those without continues to widen.

Plus, college isn't just about making money. A religion major might never be happy pursuing a career in engineering. And many students know the risks of pursuing an arts or humanities degree: Thousands have subsequently done well and are reaping the rewards, both spiritually and financially.

But others feel disappointed by the results of their choice of major, especially these days.


Does anyone really expect to make a living with a degree in oppressed minority studies or philosophy?

5 comments:

PeggyU said...

Let's see ... a degree in oppressed minority studies? I guess a person could get a job grinding axes....

Darren said...

Good one!

PeggyU said...

Darren, one of my daughter's friends got a degree in women's studies ... for the life of me, I don't know why. She's looking for a job, and hasn't found anything yet. It's really too bad. I think she could go far if she chose something else. She has a wicked funny sense of humor and this strikes me as the sort of thing she would lampoon. I'm absolutely puzzled by it.

pseudotsuga said...

Those are also the people who get hired into positions like Diversity Coordinator, or Multicultural Enforcement Officer, at colleges.

Carson said...

Mr. Miller,

I chose philosophy. At least I'll be getting a BS in it I guess.

But, I figured I'd let you know that I do figure I'll make a living somehow. (might be the fact that business school is in the plan as well.)