Wednesday, November 03, 2010

California? Not So Much.

"You lefties don't want to admit it, but I'm much closer to the center of American politics than you are."

I wrote that in my last post, and while it's true of America as a whole, it's not true of California in particular. As happy as I am with the rest of the country, the Pacific Coast stayed solidly Democratic. Here are California's results. I'll save you the time of looking them up and just tell you that for every single statewide office, including Attorney General, the Democratic candidate won.

Here's how the propositions fell out, with 93.8% of the vote counted (%Yes %No):
19 Legalize Marijuana in CA, Regulate and Tax 46.2% 53.8%
20 Redistricting of Congressional Districts 61.2% 38.8%
21 State Park Funding. Vehicle License Surcharge. 42.1% 57.9%
22 Prohibit State From Taking Some Local Funds 60.9% 39.1%
23 Suspend Air Pollution Control Law (AB 32) 38.6% 61.4%
24 Repeal Allowance of Lower Business Tax Liability 41.6% 58.4%
25 Simple Majority Vote to Pass Budget 55.0% 45.0%
26 2/3 Vote for Some State/Local Fees 52.6% 47.4%
27 Eliminate State Redistricting Commission 40.5% 59.5%

How can California be so liberal as to reelect Barbara Boxer and elect Democrats to every single statewide office and most seats in the legislature, but not legalize marijuana or allow gay marriage? How does that happen?

As National Review says,“This election means two things for California: 1. It is now more likely to end up needing a federal bailout, and 2. It is less likely to find Congress receptive to that idea.” If nothing else, this should be a great laboratory for democracy. With Democrats running our entire state government and and Republicans running much of the rest of the country, we'll see if anyone notices any differences.

I'll be paying close attention, you can count on it.

Update: If you want to see why California should be split into two states--and even see the borders of these two states--click here and then click on each statewide office (governor, lt. governor, etc.) to see how each county voted. It's pretty obvious.

6 comments:

Greg said...

Darren:

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I find much of what you write to be interesting, even though I disagree with many of your ideas. Politically, we're pretty different.

One reason that I like reading your blog is that you're an intelligent person, and I like hearing the opposing point of view from an intelligent person. Please do keep writing.

I have one major criticism of your writing, however. You generalize too much. Today, for example, I read two posts where you address "You lefties" in your writing. Do you really think that all "lefties" are a unified group that all think the same?

You identify yourself as conservative, but not outside the mainstream of the nation. Do you not think there are many people (like myself) who identify as a liberal, yet not extreme enough to be outside the mainstream?

In the midst of your intelligent and thoughtful posts, broad generalizations and polarizing language truly weaken your writing.

Darren said...

I appreciate the compliment and accept your criticism.

And while I understand that "all lefties" are not a monolithic bloc, they certainly seem that way to me when I'm on the receiving end! I'm sure "all lefties" are thinking that about "the Republicans" right now :-)

Steve USMA '85 said...

Darren, have to agree a bit with Greg. I note over the years you have taken to using that type of degrading terminology more and more. While I might think it in my head, I don't use it in normal conversation because it is an automatic turn-off. It immediately paints anyone whom might debate with you as a potential nut-case. Your posts are normally eloquent and stand by themselves. There is no need to use the term 'lefty' and the like in my humble opinion.

Darren said...

I don't necessarily write to be highbrow. I write emotionally. I try to use some intelligence and logic and understandable arguments, but with that is going to come a little bit of emotion--and every once in awhile maybe even some vitriol, but I try to limit that.

Mr. W said...

Heck I think we all know CA is just a few years from bankruptcy. And I gotta say it's interesting to see only a few places pick up on the fact we are being run into the ground by democrats.

By the way, great find on the map. Will pass this one along.

Ellen K said...

*taking a breath*Sorry, I've been "gone" awhile.

I still stand by my contention that we can sell San Francisco to the Chinese in lieu of debt. I doubt anyone would notice any change.