Friday, December 01, 2006

School Attendance

I had a student today come late to school because he was taking his DMV driving test. Wouldn't have happened with my parents!

I have a student in Hawaii this week. Wouldn't have happened with my parents.

This school gives away a new vehicle for good attendance. Wish it would have happened at my school! No, I probably don't. I doubt it serves as a motivator as much as it does a reward, and a reward contingent on good fortune at that.

I like the remark from the person who described his parents' rule regarding missing school:

"My mom had the three-B rule: There'd better be blood, bone or barf, or I was going to school," (Associate Principal) Stafford said.


The 3-B rule. Gotta remember that one.

5 comments:

V said...

So that's why schools are short on funds.

The Prez didn't really cut back on schools, school administrations just aren't spending their money wisely.

O, and as for the attendence rewards, I do beleive I heard you rant about this last year, and I quote:

"If students need to be given extra incentive to come to school besides their education, they shouldn't go to school in the first place."

I still wish our school would do this.

:)

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should give away your school-colors Kia Rio to whoever has the best attendance...?

Just a thought.

Darren said...

Rant? Rant? I don't think so!

I might have mentioned it. =)

And Eric, why should I give *my* car away? I still think the Rowdy Raiders should buy it for a SpiritMobile.

Anonymous said...

I've mentioned the car to my brother twice. He didn't go for it. Sorry.

Blame my sister. I always do.

Darren said...

Good call. I blame your sister, too. =)