Friday, December 18, 2009

A Personal View of the Economy

Of course today was the last day of school before Christmas break, and at our school that meant the traditional staff potluck at lunchtime. How nice it is to take over the library and have food as far as the eye can see.

While eating, some other teachers at my table were talking about something that I had been thinking about but didn't feel comfortable voicing. I teach in an upscale area wherein live some very generous people, and there have been years in which I've had to make a couple trips to the car to pack up all the Christmas presents I'd received--and I'm not the only one, by a long shot. Anyway, conversation at the table was about how many fewer gifts teachers were receiving this year than in years past.

Now please, don't get me wrong--no one was lamenting the lack of a haul, or showing any sign of being personally disappointed in receiving fewer gifts. No, there was widespread recognition that even in an upscale area, people are feeling the effects and uncertainties of today's economy.

I am very thankful for the gifts I received, and on the first day of school after break I'll be giving out handwritten thank you cards as I do each year.

I love the Christmas season.

10 comments:

Ellen K said...

I see similar issues. Worse, I see kids acting out as the result of their parents economic meltdowns. We've had kids who lived in a very nice suburb whose parents have gone bankrupt. Sadly, many of the parents still doing well don't seem to understand that not everyone is in that situation. I am concerned that we will see a spate of early graduation due to kids needing to work and bring income into the family. And this is in a state that is suffering less than others. I can only imagine what places like Chicago and Detroit are going through.

Mrs. Bluebird said...

So many of my kids are on the lower end of the economic scale, even in good times, that if we get anything outside of a candle or a bottle of bubble bath, it's amazing. I get lots of candy canes and cards. I think I like the cards the best. I've kept every single one I've ever received.

Rhymes With Righth said...

Gifts? What gifts?

Elaine C. said...

My gifts this year were ALL homemade... baked goods. Husband appreciates 'em too :)

Sadly, due to the economy, I had some 'anti-gifts' too. I lost 9(!) students this week due to families moving out of the area. Some of my best kids are not going to be around in January - this makes me sad! I just hope and pray they and their families land on their feet and do well in their new areas!

Darren said...

I got more homemade snackies than I've ever gotten before. We won't be without treats at the RightOnTheLeftCoast house during the entire break!

MikeAT said...

The crooks in my neighborhood have even stopped saying “Give me your money please!” so I know it’s getting bad!

Scott McCall said...

did you get the yellow thong you've been hoping for?

Mrs. Widget said...

The town I teach in is getting hit hard. Population is under less than 5,000. Local mill did a shutdown, then a closing. About 400 people lost their jobs. The company announced that a shutdown mill will reopen in a town 100 miles away. They said they will rehired about 100 people, but they would still have to move. Yes, there is thought they are trying to break the union. Though also there is good economic sense, the closed mill is 25 years old and to be reopened one is newer.

gbradley said...

My wife gets gifts for all of the kids teachers and it's all good.

I just don't remember my mom giving any of my teachers gifts while I was growing up.
I wonder if it is a more recent phenomenon.
It was along time ago when I was in grade school.

MikeAT said...

Scott

Darren and I have been friends for over 20 years...if he wants a yellow thong, that's knowing him too much...thanks but I don't want to know him that well! :)