Thursday, October 27, 2022

I Expected His Case To Go The Other Way

I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with the Court's decision.  In fact, I'm 100% sure I'm not comfortable with it how the Supreme Court ruled.  Once they ruled, though, I guess the district had to hire him back:

A Washington high school football coach who was fired by the district over postgame prayers must be reinstated to his old job by March 2023, court documents filed Tuesday say.

Joe Kennedy, a former football coach at Bremerton High School, was put on leave in 2015 for reciting prayers at midfield following games. 

His case was decided last June.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Please let us know why you are uncomfortable with the SC decision. Looks simple to me. S/F Bob Nye

Darren said...

Someone in a leadership position praying at the 50-yard-line? Maybe it's because I'm from California, but I like to keep a strong line of separation between church and public schools. I cannot imagine I would get away with holding a prayer at my desk at the beginning of each class, and inviting any student who wanted to to join me, and I don't see a difference between that and what this coach did.

I'd have ruled against him. Then again, I'm not on the Supreme Court, so....

LeftCoastRef said...

The difference is it is at the END of the games. So, if your analogy held form, it would be holding a prayer at the end of class but all are free to leave if desired. I don't know if the USSC got it right, but it doesn't feel wrong.

Luke said...

Darren,

The difference between your classroom and the football field is that in your classroom at the beginning of class you ahve a captive audience that MUST stay, while on the football field AFTER the game, anyone who doesn't want ot participate can simply leave.

Now, if you wanted to host a prayer at your desk BEFORE the start of the school day or AFTER the end of the school day, then that would be an equivalent. Would you feel the same way then?

Darren said...

Yes, I'd feel the same way. The moment you have someone in a supervisory position conducting a prayer that includes students, that gets too close to the line for my liking.

Luke said...

I get the view, don't know if I agree, but I do understand it.