Sunday, October 09, 2022

At This Point, I Say Hang'em

In the 21st century, men should be long past raping young women just because we can.  Should the allegations in this case be proven, prison is too good a punishment:

A cargo ship was sailing across the Atlantic Ocean when the captain summoned two young US Merchant Marine Academy cadets to his room and gave them each a drink.

Shortly thereafter, the students started feeling like something was wrong.

Unbeknownst to them, their boss had spiked their drinks, according to a previously unreported complaint filed by the US Coast Guard. Once they were incapacitated, the captain raped one cadet and attempted to sexually assault the other, the Coast Guard alleges.

I wrote about similar happenings back in June.  Our women cadets should not have to live in fear during their training, and I expect the US Merchant Marine Academy to take stronger steps in the future to ensure they are not put in such danger.  I don't mean paper steps, either, I mean action.  This is disgusting.

I will be writing my congressman about this.

Update, 11/2/22:  It's been more than 3 weeks since I wrote my congressman.  That's a week for the letter to get to DC, a week back, and more than a week to come up with a reply.  I've received none.

5 comments:

Pseudotsuga said...

Keelhauling might be in store for this predator, and then a loss of pension and other benefits. Or maybe the keelhauling should be second...

Luke said...

Nah, go old-school punishment for sailors, keelhaul them.

Darren said...

Those big ships have *very* long keels.

Luke said...

That's a feature, not a bug.

Darren said...

Good call.