Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Two Down, One To Go

If, as they say, trouble comes in threes, then I've had a very expensive three:  my under-the-slab hot water leak, which caused hundreds of dollars of water and natural gas bills and necessitated a $10,000 replumbing of my entire house through the attic; a $2,000 bathroom renovation, since part of the replumbing involved removing the wall in my master bathroom so that the plumbing to both bathrooms could be replaced; and the break-in of my travel trailer, parked in my driveway.  It's been an expensive summer.

A couple weeks ago the plumbing work was completed.  However, I still had a master bathroom with large pieces of sheet rock missing and no sink/vanity.  A former student of mine, a real estate agent, referred me to a handyman who could do the job.  He started yesterday, and when I got home from work I was very impressed with the quality of the work he had done so far--you couldn't even tell there had been sheet rock missing.  Today when I got home there were two coats of paint on the walls and the vanity had been installed expertly.  I think I got what I paid for.

As I said, this handyman charged a lot, so I opted to install the faucet and under-sink plumbing myself.  It took me longer than it would have taken an expert, but I finished it and there's not a leak to be found.  I've never been someone to do such work myself, but I admit that a certain amount of satisfaction goes along with being able to do even a relatively simple job with my own hands.

Once the plumbing was all connected it was time to start moving back into the bathroom.  Surprisingly, that's taken more than time that it took to do the plumbing!  The former white wall shelves are now painted dark brown, and I'll hang them tomorrow and "decorate".

House replumbing:  check.

Master bathroom renovated:  check.

Now I have to find a compatible window for my trailer and get it installed, and finding such a window is turning out to be a difficult task.

Update, 9/24/22:  I've received a sizable settlement check that will cover almost the entire cost and installation of a new, custom window, as apparently the size I need isn't standard anymore.  I'll have to pay to replace the door lock myself, but I'll just consider that to be my deductible.  Things are moving forward.

2 comments:

Pseudotsuga said...

Good luck on finding a custom window for the trailer!

Darren said...

The one quote I have, including shipping: $1300. And that doesn't include labor.
Insurance company estimate: about $350 to replace the window, and $150 to replace the door lock. Neither of those numbers is close to reality here in Northern California.