Thursday, September 29, 2022

Tentative Agreement Vote Update

I'm not allowed to vote on our contract because I'm not a union member, but I was included in an email announcing the results of said contract vote:

Hey Folks,

Some communication from the union-

Colleagues, 

The Tentative Agreement Ratification voting results are as follows:

Ballots Submitted:  868 

Yes, I accept the Tentative Agreement:                 851     (98.0%)

No, I do not accept the Tentative Agreement:       17   (1.9%)  

The membership has ratified the Agreement.

Thank you to the Bargaining Team for their outstanding work in negotiating this historic deal. 

In unity...

There are over 2000 members in our bargaining unit, fewer than half of them voted.  And less than 2% of them voted against it?  Hmmmm.  I'd bet we could get over 10% to vote against a statement that the sky is blue.

Less than 2%.  I'm friends with our school's union rep and knew he'd get my joke, so I replied with the following:

A percentage very much like the Russian annexation votes in occupied Ukraine.

3 comments:

Pseudotsuga said...

"...in negotiating this historic deal. In unity..."

A "historic" deal? To them, every deal is "historic" as they pretend they are sticking it to the man.
And "unity" certainly isn't applicable here, but it's another buzzword used to show they are down with the struggle...

Anonymous said...

The representation you don’t pay for got you a $15k raise in less than 24 months. And this is how you show your gratitude?

Darren said...

Your numbers are a little off but I see your point. I just don't accept it as a good argument, as you've cherry-picked the starting point (24 months). Exactly how many raises have we had in the last 12 years?

You assume I couldn't have done better if I were allowed to negotiate for myself. Or to create my own union of math teachers. Or even if we were to keep up with inflation.

And no, I don't trust the Soviet-level percentages of "yea" votes that occur each time. So no, no gratitude here.