Thursday, February 10, 2022

What Happens If...

We have a week off the week after next.  Officially it's "Presidents' Week", but to me it'll always be Ski Week.

Anyway, I've been planning a trip to Mexico City.  Why there?  Because it's relatively close, and I've never been there, and since I was a child I've wanted to see Teotihuacan.  Expedia and Travelocity have shown me that I could fly round-trip, spend 6 nights in a hotel, and have a few fun excursions for about $2000.  That's a lot of money for 6 days, but it's a one-time cost and I can afford it one time.

The CDC has Mexico on a Level 4, "Do not travel" advisory due to the 'rona.  What happens if I get the 'rona while I'm there and thus can't fly home?  More specifically, what happens to my classes if I get stuck in CDMX?

We are not able to access any district web sites from a foreign country.  I probably couldn't even access Zoom or Google Classroom, as the only way I know how to get to them is through our district portal which takes care of all the logins for me.  And what good would either of those do me in Mexico, without any materials?  Nada.

So here's what I've decided.  Just in case.

Before I leave work next Friday I'll have Monday's materials laid out and ready to go.  I'll also leave my planning calendars out for each class.  It's a good thing I have Chromebooks in my room, too, as they'll come in handy.  I already have that week's assignments in Google Classroom, and students can watch the appropriate instructional videos I recorded during the last 2 school years via my YouTube channel.

It's not much, but it's much better than nothing.  And I hope it's all unnecessary planning anyway.

4 comments:

Anna A said...

I can appreciate your plans, etc. I am going to go on a tour end of March to Greece and Turkey, and hope that I don't get stuck somewhere, either.

I made sure that my emergency contact knows how to contact the petsitter for my roommate.

lgm said...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/nyregion/new-jersey-school-online.html No problem here.

Is it your district or your state's policy to not allow remote logins from across the international border?

Ellen K said...

Sounds like a pretty solid plan.

Darren said...

lgm, I'm pretty sure it's my district's IT group that has things configured this way. I doubt the state is that involved--but I'm just guessing here.