Saturday, February 12, 2022

Booking Was Harder Than I Thought!

Today was the day--gotta book that flight to Mexico City!

Doing so was not easy.

I've been tracking hotels and flights on Expedia for more than a week.  I've known what I want--which flights, and where I want to stay.  Today I hopped on Expedia to book it.

I got my hotel, I got the type of room I've wanted, I got the flights.  When I click on the button to pay I got a message that "the flight you selected is no longer available".  Which flight, outbound or inbound?  There was no indication.

So I went back to the reservation and changed the outbound flight, and still got the error message.  I went back to the reservation and changed the inbound flight, and still got the message.  What sort of fresh hell is this?  I tried it several times and got the same problem each time.  Are none of these flights valid?  And if not, why do they show up?

I went to a discount web site I periodically use, but no good came of it.  Decided to try to book directly through the Aeromexico web site.

The hotel I'd chosen on Expedia was available, but one I hadn't previously seen was on the Aeromexico site.  I was able to get a larger room with a king size bed for only $50 more, and this option wasn't available at the other hotel I considered.  This one also did not offer a free walking tour of the historic downtown area, but my guide book and the internet can handle that.

So I booked it.  There were a few glitches, like my credit card not going through--but after several minutes I figured out that my credit card company was texting me during each attempt to see if the charge was legitimate.  Good call!

Then I had to pay for baggage, and for an emergency exit seat on the one flight leg during which I'll be awake and able to appreciate the extra room!  I have aisle seats on each flight, which is nice for someone of my age.

The 6 day trip will cost me about $2000, which is a lot for a week, but my plan is to get the most out of that week--including a balloon ride over the pyramids at Teotihuacan!  I'll be sure to have the video camera batteries charged for that!  And a friend of mine from Guadalajara may be able to zip over for a day or two, or perhaps we will be able to meet for lunch at the airport during my 4-hour Guadalajara layover on my way home.

I just checked the safe and I have 590 pesos (about $28 US) from my last trip to Mexico.  That should tide me over until I get to an ATM machine in the city.

Now I just have to get through the next week of school, and avoid injury and illness!

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

Sounds fun. We're trying to figure if we can get into my sister in law's rental condo that she owns on the Big Island of Hawaii. We're looking at early Fall and hoping they back down on some of their state requirements.