Tuesday, September 07, 2021

This Work Week Hasn't Started Off Well

I enjoyed having yesterday off work.  It went downhill after that.

It started when I got to work today and somehow had two entirely different roll sheets for 3rd period.  It didn't take long to figure out what happened--what was supposed to happen next Monday actually happened today, but with errors.

We need another statistics class, and since I'm the only one who teaches statistics, I had to have another such class.  The only way to do that was to move one of my non-statistics classes to another teacher and use that period to give me a new stats class.  The new stats class was created, all right, but it was assigned to me along with the my other class during the same period.  Nobody had moved my other class to their new teacher.

You might think, that's no biggie, someone just needs to push a button in the computer and it's done.  Well, kinda.  But the teacher getting those students doesn't really exist yet.  After a succession of substitute teachers we finally got a long-term substitute a few days ago, and he is to get my class--but he isn't in our computer system yet.  He doesn't have a district-issued laptop, he doesn't even have a district email address yet.

And, because of all this changing, I no longer have a T.A. (teacher's assistant).  Some teachers have several, I need only one--and now that TA is gone.  Can I get another one over 3 weeks into the school year?  Unlikely.

This is the rockiest start I've seen to school in my 25 years of doing this.

Tomorrow we get out of school early but tomorrow afternoon I have an IEP meeting.  Via Zoom.  From home.  I don't enjoy IEP's, and after the last year and a half I despise doing anything by Zoom.  Tomorrow night we have to Zoom from home for Back To School Night--where I'll get to face parents of students I haven't even seen yet, and explain to them how I plan to get their kids caught up after missing the first 3 weeks of the course.

And we have a staff meeting--probably via Zoom--after school on Thursday.  Perhaps Friday will be OK.

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

I have been there. It seems that while administration always wants things done on a timely basis, they don't think the things they need to do should conform to that idea.