Thursday, September 30, 2021

I Finally Made It

It took me 24 years, but I have finally made it to the highest number on my district's pay scale--short of taking on another class or some other stipend-paying responsibility, of course.

I'm not quite happy working in my district, though.  It's a very poorly run organization.  Very poorly run.  And that makes for a lot of crap to run downhill to the schools.  A lot of that crap is of my district's own making.

I really liked Rapid City when I was there this past summer, so I looked recently--and sure enough, there are math teacher openings there.  The highest pay shown on the job listings is exactly half of what I make here.

So I just have to gut it out, rack up some good retirement pay, and then leave this state.  At most that means six more years of this crap--with reasonable pay.  And then a reasonable retirement.

4 comments:

ObieJuan said...

Hang in there Darren. Remember, California education NEEDS people like you! You're doing more good than you know!

Anonymous said...

The cost of living in SD is low and there is no state income tax.

Ellen K said...

I understand your hesitancy to move where salaries are less. I will tell you that many former coaches and administrators I know retired from Oklahoma and Arkansas then came to Texas and worked while getting pension from those states. So you might look at what retirement compensation would be for California now. Texas has the Rule of 80, where your age plus years in the classroom or education must be 80. In most states there are incremental deductions for retiring early. I was willing to take a slight deduction and I'm thankful that I did. I have no doubt I would be in a much worse health situation now had I stayed. Just some things to think about.

Darren said...

Anonymous--it's not 50% lower!

ObiJuan--thank you!

Ellen, I'm considering it. I need to make my way to San Antonio and see what I think. It turns up on just about every list of great places to retire.