Wednesday, May 06, 2020

What Have I Been Watching

Given all the time I have to spend alone at home due to coronavirus shutdowns, you'd expect my tv would be on nonstop.  But it's not.

As a teacher I spend a lot of time working--planning lessons, recording and posting instructional videos, grading work, notifying parents and counselors of those who are in danger of failing, determining how best to give a math test online with limited resources, etc.  On an average day I spend more time doing this than I would if I were teaching at school.  Technology, especially, is a time-suck.  Creating and grading online tests takes more time, in general, than creating and grading paper tests.

So when I do finally shut the computer down for the day (night), I have a few options.  I break out the audiobooks, I go for a walk, I relax in the backyard, or some combination of the three.  Or maybe I turn on the TV.  I've watched and recommend all the shows listed below, but don't think I've watched all of them in just the last 7+ weeks!  Some of these shows I've watched within the last year!  Still, I find them enjoyable.

I have a Roku TV so I have hundreds of apps through which I can download content.  The only paid apps I use are Hulu and Netflix.  Except for Homeland, I'm all caught up with "my shows" on Hulu.  Casual was a welcome surprise.  I'm looking forward to The GreatA French Village, about a town under Nazi occupation, was riveting.

So what's on Netflix?

I enjoyed the half-drama, half-documentary shows about the Roman Empire and the OttomansMedici is all drama, and I enjoy the show immensely.  Season 3 was recently released and a friend and I are working our way through it, one or two episodes a week.

My son turned me on to Money Heist, as well as an earlier show with a few of the same actors, Elite.  The shows are dubbed from Spanish, but as I read the closed captioning more than I watch the actors' lips, I'm not as bothered by that as some are.  Both were enjoyable, with Money Heist being the better of the two.  Break in to the Spanish "mint", take hostages, and print zillions of euros?  Bella Ciao!

Lost In Space is completely reimagined, and I truly enjoy the occasional homage to the original series that this one offers.  What I do not like, however, is Robot.  Nothing at all like the original campy Robot, and not even created by humans.  Yes, Robot said at least once, "Danger, Will Robinson", so there's that.  I eagerly await the last season, set to drop next year.

Imposters started off well and quickly progressed to what might be the best show on Netflix.  With only 2 seasons, it's an easy weekend binge.  No preview here, as I just told you it might be the best show on Netflix.  Go look it up.  Pine Gap, about a joint US-Australian electronic monitoring facility, was also good and was only 1 season.

I'm not usually into the spy-thriller genre, so I initially watched London Spy just because I wanted to see shots of London--but I stayed for the odd, captivating story.  The final twist was as exceptional as it was twisted.  Another 1-season wonder.

Despite its obvious leftie leanings, I enjoyed Designator Survivor.  The workings of American government can be interesting, if infuriating.

I enjoyed Schitt's Creek, but my favorite Canadian sitcom import is Kim's Convenience--about a Korean-Canadian family in Toronto.  Hilarious, modern, and oh-so-Canadian (that's not always good, by the way, but what would be the fun if they were exactly like Americans).  I so relate to Appa.  OK, see you!

I've watched a few "high school" shows.  Atypical, about a boy with autism, is extremely well done.  American Vandal Season 1, a "true crime satire" which is wholly self-contained, was fantastic; season 2, not so much.  Sex Education, about a boy whose mother is a sex therapist, is hilarious.  Elite, mentioned above, is supposed to be a high school show but the actors are clearly way too old for the parts.  My son also just turned me on to Outer Banks, which as far as I can tell is a show about teenagers who don't wear shirts--but maybe there's something to the story about a 19th century British ship with $400 million in gold on board, sunk just off the coast?  Just started watching it last night.  Can't recommend it yet--if it sounds interesting, leave a comment in a week or so, after which time I'll have finished the season and can let you know what I think.

Turn, about spies during the American Revolution, was not as serious a drama as you might expect.  Still, I enjoyed it--especially the bittersweet ending.  Spoiler:  the Americans won the war!  But that's not the ending I was talking about.

Dead to Me is a dark comedy with Christina Applegate.  You are fed little bits and pieces of the story as you need them to piece it together.  Well done.  Next season is coming later this year.

I've watched a lot more, of course, but this gives you a broad view of what kinds of shows I'm watching and have liked.  Let me know what you've thought of any of these, or if you take any of these recommendations, or if you'd like to make a recommendation--that's what the comments are for!

3 comments:

David said...

I actually have had less to grade. I have been using things like google forms to grade things for me like matching, multiple choice, fill in the blank and ordering. It does take me awhile to set it up, but afterwards no grading and immediate feedback. For instance, there was one question where 2/3 of my students got wrong so I had to reteach that. I still have to grade essays and short answers. But I haven't had to grade projects or super long tests.

I am still giving readings and DBQs and maps and charts to analyze so the students still have that higher level thinking. My students analyzed Uncle Toms Cabin and Dred Scott decision for instance and analyzed a chart/map of the 1860 Presidential Election. However I am not giving that much work since grades cannot be dropped, it is just middle school grades and if I give too much work, students will check out.

I am currently watching the 90s TV show the Commish. I watched recent popular shows like Bosch and Tiger King and Mandalorian and Witcher.
I tried Designated Survivor but once it got to the leftie crap, I stopped watching.

Anonymous said...

One of your former students here, Mr. Miller! Since you have Netflix, have you watched "TURN?" It's about the spies for George Washington, somewhat non-fiction. Let me know!

Darren said...

I mentioned it near the end of the post :)

Who are you? If you've already graduated, I'm Darren!