Thursday, May 21, 2020

Putting Math and Physics To Important Use

Toilet paper.

A month or two ago it was all over the news--shortages everywhere as people hoarded it. 

And no doubt you've participated in at least one debate in your lifetime about whether the TP loop goes "over" or "under" when the roll is hanging.  (Answer:  according to the patent for the TP roll hanger, the loop goes "over".  Settled.)

Now we come to the next big debate:  folded, or wadded?
I fold my toilet paper. It’s the most efficient and effective way to do it, especially as I work my way to becoming a one-wipe wunderkind. But it’s also the subject of heated debate, thanks to the internet. Some people wad their toilet paper into poop loofahs — a practice that seems uncivilized and wasteful! Your butt deserves a perfect square, and your pipes deserve way fewer sheets than what you’re clogging ’em with...

So I reached out to math and physics professionals to scientifically prove which method is superior: wadding toilet paper, or folding it.  
I could share the answer with you here, but you know you want to read the full article yourself.

No comments: