Friday, November 11, 2005

Movies (Yes, They Marginally Relate To Education Issues)

Click here to find links to trailers and/or downloads of some interesting movies, including two by Evan Coyne Maloney--Indoctrinate U, a feature-length film that explores political correctness, speech codes, and academic bias on college campuses, and Brainwashing 101, a 45-min downloadable film (hilarious at times) that discusses similar topics at three particular universities. Also available at this site is the short movie Dead Meat, which shows the not-so-pleasant side of Canadian socialized medicine--the very model that lefties tried to pass in our election a few days ago, and which the California Teachers Association supported.

Just as fun is this site, which advertises and has a trailer for a new pro-Wal*Mart movie. How does this have anything to do with education? My state and national unions have been urging their members for months not to shop at Wal*Mart because it isn't unionized, doesn't pay fair wages, etc.

Hey, unions of which I soon won't be a member? Focus on my freakin' wages--that's what I've paid you to do for 9 years--and let the Wal*Mart workers deal with theirs. Quit being a social services organization trying to save the world on my dime.

Update: For a political take on movies and Hollywood in general, articles that have no link to education issues at all, try this Ann Coulter piece or this one from city-journal.org. My favorite comment from the latter:
“The politics is definitely having an impact,” observes Govindini Murty, an actress and editor of Libertas, an influential conservative film blog. “Do car companies insult Republicans in their ads?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann Coulter? Attractive?

Darren, you need to get out more!

Darren said...

I've only seen her on the cover of her book, and she looked pretty good there--assuming she's the one I'm thinking of.

And you know what's interesting? My mother has a cousin named Leeroy. And her maiden name is Jenkins. Maybe we're related, Leeroy. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am shocked you haven't googled the name by now.

Darren said...

Should I? Is there something you're not telling me?