Saturday, June 11, 2022

I'm a Math Teacher.

Solving problems is what I do.

Lately I've noticed that the pump on my air conditioning system, the pump that evacuates all the condensed water, has been taking an inordinate amount of time to get rid of small amounts of water.  Obviously something was amiss, so I disconnected the evacuation tube and blew on it--clogged.  That pump is working so hard and so long because it's got to squeeze the water past some obstruction.

This morning I went outside and snaked the drain pipe in case something crawled up it and set up shop, and it seemed perfectly clear.  That was actually bad news for me, since the only remaining option was to crawl up into the attic space.  Keep in mind it was 100+ degrees yesterday, fairly warm all night, and that attic is filled with shredded insulation.  And dust.  Lots of dust.

But go up there I did, and it didn't take long to identify the problem--the flexible evacuation tube, which had been draped over a nail, had gotten kinked.  In two places, actually.  It took me awhile but I got it to where it would stay "unkinked" and now the pump empties its drain pan very quickly.

Being sweaty and gross after being up in the attic space, I thought perhaps a shower would be in order.  So I went into the bathroom and turned on the hot water.

Well, there should have been hot water.  Only cold came out.  I went into the garage to the water heater and the light on the controller was flashing the code for "flammable vapor sensor lockout".  Heck, I replaced that entire water heater only 6 years ago this month!

I called the manufacturer's toll-free number, and the computerized voice told me my wait would be less than 10 minutes.  After 24 minutes I was finally able to speak to someone who emailed me directions for resetting the controller unit.  Fortunately, those directions seem to have worked flawlessly.

So I woke up with problems in two fairly important systems in my house this morning, and both problems were resolved before 11 am and at zero monetary cost.  I feel very good about that but am still experiencing some of the anxiety caused by originally not knowing if I could resolve either one.  I think I'll calm myself by heading up to the farmer's market (in the parking lot of the almost-dead mall) and see what's there.  I doubt I'll buy anything, but it always seems so relaxing there.

No comments: