Wednesday, June 08, 2022

2 Months From Today, I Go Back To Work

Until then, I will not be checking my work email, will not be doing any planning, will not be working in my classroom.

I don't get paid for these two months, so I don't work.  And my mental health thanks me for that!

I'll be "teaching" a new class in August.  I'll have a full class of students who will be taking "dual-enrollment" statistics at a local community college.  I have no grading or assessment responsibility for this class, as the class is offered online through the local CC.  Not many high school students passed the course the last semester the CC offered it, but mine will be the first time an entire class of dual-enrollment students will all be from the same high school.  My plan is to use the "flipped classroom" format at high school, expecting students to watch the CC instructional videos Monday-Thursday evenings and to come to our class each day with questions, homework help, etc.  Essentially I'll be the equivalent of a university T.A., helping the undergrads understand the professor's instruction.  We'll see how it works out.

I'm looking forward to that new challenge, but I'm going to enjoy my 2 months (to the day) off in the meantime.

Free at last!

2 comments:

Ellen K said...

So have you set a date for your final FINAL day? I've gone to two retirement parties in the past week. One was a middle school special ed teacher who had simply had it with being physically attacked only to have the student return to class. The other was a middle school librarian who ended up in hospital for a week after a student attacked her. Again, he was special education so nothing was done. I hope your coming year is smooth. We're looking at Charter Schools for our grandson, who really struggled this last year with teachers that were not trained to encounter GT kids. I'm not sure where education is going. Two years after retirement, I still have dreams about lesson plans and classes. I really hope you don't have to deal with that.

Darren said...

The way my retirement pay would work, the most logical course for me is to teach for 5 more years. My original plan was to go until 2028, but 2027 is now looking better.

As for the dreams, they're a form of PTSD. Every once in awhile I still have bad dreams related to West Point. Shortly after I graduated they would occur weekly or thereabouts, and since they've decreased with time I assume I'm getting "better". You will, too.