Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Salary

This year I gave up being department chair--and the stipend that went with it.

Last week we got our "statement of earnings" to check for accuracy.  These tell us what credentials we have, where we are on the pay scale, whether or not we get "longevity pay", etc.  We got a small pay raise this year, and I noted that, when all is said and done, I'll be making $150 less this year than I did last year.  Not $150 per month, $150 total.  For the whole year.

I've given up a school and a district meeting each month, plus all the internal hassles that go with being department chair, for about $15 less per month in pay.  So worth it!

I attended a special meeting last week and will be paid about $60 for doing so.  Only $90 left to make up!

4 comments:

Steve USMA '85 said...

You forgot one thing in your calculation. Official SSA cost-of-living increase for 2018 was 2.8%. To stay even, your 2019 salary needed to increase by that amount. So you are behind $150 + (X * .028).

Where X is your annual salary.

By my estimate you are behind at least $1,500 from last year. Need to attend a lot of those special meetings.

Darren said...

We never keep up with inflation. Why people keep voting for a union that won't even allow us to keep up with inflation--that just amazes me.

Anonymous said...

I'll have an extra $900 this year: I opted out of our local union, the NEA, and the OEA. I'm tired of getting the Ohio and National union magazines and seeing NOTHING I agree with; they have never found a Republican to support in all the years I've paid those dues!

Darren said...

I'd join my local union if I could, but I'll be damned if I'm going to voluntarily give the CTA or the NEA a cent of my money.