Friday, February 19, 2010

I Admit It. I Went In To Work Today.

It's Ski Week, and instead of being up on the slopes I've spent the vast majority of it at home, and much of that time in bed. I don't know what I have, but whatever it is it just saps my energy. It's like having mono all over again!

After over 11 hours of sleep last night I met a friend for lunch today, and then I went to school. At the end of last week our math department received our new document cameras, forever exiling the ubiquitous overhead projectors, and I wanted to have mine set up and ready to go. I connected the laptop, on which I run this graphing program, and figured out how to feed both it and the document camera into the LCD projector. Since the supposedly "overhead" screen wasn't so much over my head as behind it, I often had to write something and then move aside so my students could see it; now, I can have the document camera off to the side as I work on it and the students can see the screen clearly. As Martha Stewart might say, this is a good thing.

I also planned a couple lessons for early in the week, answered and wrote an email or two, and realized the cd's/dvd's that came with our textbook are useless (I was checking them out now that I have all the technology required to use them). How hard would it be to put a short tutorial on each textbook section onto a DVD, so even if I have a substitute the students could learn something? Instead, they have a PowerPoint presentation on each section--no audio, just a slideshow of the exact same example problems from the text! Not even different numbers! Grrrrrr.

Having done that little, I'm again exhausted--my default condition for the week. This sucks. I think I'll go have some tea, watch a movie for awhile, and enjoy my rockin' Friday night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had what zapped ya. Went around our school like a wildfire. Now my children have it, and my wife is feeling under the weather. I just got over it, after about two weeks. Somehow I managed to bike to work; lots of Nyquil, Dayquil, water, and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

George

PeggyU said...

We had some obnoxious crap hanging around the house since shortly after Christmas. I bet it's the same thing. It takes its sweet time leaving!

Darren said...

Darned unwelcome guest!

Dan Edwards said...

Dude, get well soon. You could be feeling crappy up at Tahoe....maybe some cold fresh air would do you good? Or, maybe you could be content with watching the Winter Olympics....I guess online, since I just recalled that you don't have a TV. Whatever, Get Well !

Skip said...

I'm working on putting together lessons that could be usable by a sub, or downloaded, or even put on an ipod. Slow going, but its coming along.

Darren said...

I have TV! Just not cable.

Ellen K said...

It's going around. I've had some variation of it since Christmas. The congestion seems to last forever. I'm on my second round of antibiotics for sinus infection. And the fatigue is the worst. All I can suggest is try to keep a steady diet, decent sleep and plan ahead. It does suck to have a week off where you are sick. Sometimes I wonder if we keep up our immunity until a time when we can relax and then it sneaks up on us. It seems I have been sick for every snow day, every holiday. And don't work if you don't have to. (Although as I say that I am planning to go in a couple of hours tomorrow to put in grades and run off instructions....) Stay strong. Drink hot tea. Sleep....sleep...sleep
PS. Are there any hockey games in this Winter Olympics? We don't have cable either and frankly I am tired of figure skating drama and exhibitions.