Sunday, May 24, 2009

West Point's Class of 2009

A few details:

The class includes eight Rotary Ambassadorial Scholars, a Gates Cambridge Scholar, a Rhodes Scholar and two East/West Center Fellows. In addition, 28 members of the graduating class earned recognition as Honor Graduates. The award reflects overall excellence in cadet performance, including academic, military and physical.

This year 50 Superintendent’s Awards for Excellence were presented to the cadets in the top 5 percent of the class. Another 150 cadets were earned the Superintendent’s Award for Achievement, and 172 received recognition for earning a GPA of 3.67.

The class itself is a picture of diversity.

Of the 970 cadets, 144 are women, 63 African Americans, 62 Asian/Pacific Islanders, 74 Hispanics and 15 Native Americans. The majority of the class, which also includes 17 foreign students, were commissioned second lieutenants.

Well done, lieutenants.

Take a look at that first paragraph I've quoted above. All those awards for one class at such a small school. Tom Ricks can bite me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You went to West Point? I thought you were a teacher.

Darren said...

I did, and I am.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you choose to make the big bucks?

Darren said...

Big bucks? In the army?

I used to work as a manufacturing manager and did fine. Once my son was born, my priorities changed. Time, not money, became that which I sought.