Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shoe's On The Other Foot

Oh, how they whine:

The RNC video, which begins with the speaker’s head in the iconic spy-series gun sight, implies that Pelosi has used her feminine wiles to dodge the truth about whether or not she was briefed by the CIA on the use of waterboarding in 2002. While the P-word is never mentioned directly, in one section the speaker appears in a split screen alongside the Bond nemesis – and the video’s tagline is “Democrats Galore.”

The wisdom of equating the first woman speaker of the House with a character whose first name also happens to be among the most vulgar terms for a part of the female anatomy might be debated – if the RNC were willing to do so, which it was not. An RNC spokesperson refused repeated requests by POLITICO to explain the point of the video, or the intended connection between Pelosi and Galore.

But what isn’t open to debate is that the waterboarding conflict has been accompanied by a cascade of attacks on the speaker, not as a leader or a legislator, but as a woman.

Earlier this week, Pittsburgh radio host Jim Quinn referred to the speaker on his program as “this bitch”; last week, syndicated radio host Neal Boortz opined “how fun it is to watch that hag out there twisting in the wind.”

Let's review; how did rabid lefties express their displeasure with Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA? I do believe it went a little beyond "I disagree with this young woman's stance on gay marriage."

What attacks were made against Sarah Palin? They questioned her abilities as a mother, challenged whether her baby was actually her baby, and criticized her for getting new clothes, among others.

Michelle Malkin is constantly savaged, publicly, to include suggestions of rape with barbed wire.

Poor Nancy has her head photoshopped onto the body of a Bond girl, and the left goes wild?

Boo freakin' hoo.

Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority Foundation, believes that those who attack female leaders on gender grounds do so out of weakness.

I cannot seem to find any commentary from Ms. Smeal regarding Prejean, Palin, or Malkin. I'd wonder why, if I didn't already know the answer.

9 comments:

PeggyU said...

This image, linked from Michelle Malkin's site, has stuck with me since the election. I knit, so I know how much work went into this. This required sustained hatred of a kind I can't aspire to, even with my negative feelings toward Obama. Ask Ms. Smeal about this.

Anonymous said...

And the right wing has focused quite energetically on various parts of Hillary's anatomy and much more so on Michelle Obama's.

This demeans the conversation on both sides. Can we all just quit it and talk like adults?

Richard

Darren said...

Relativistic arguments don't fly with me. The right can't hold a candle to the left when it comes to bigotry, nastiness, or anger.

And I'm glad about that.

Anonymous said...

So I guess you will continue to refer to the current president as 'The One'. You embarrass your West Point heritage.

Again, let's all just stop.

Richard

Rhymes With Right said...

I suppose they would object to my nickname for the Speaker -- the Whore of Babylon-by-the-Bay.

Darren said...

I'll leave it to others to determine if I'm besmirching my "West Point heritage" or not. But way to go to try to slime me.

My point in this post is not to say that what the RNC has done here is appropriate. It's to point out the double standard and/or hypocrisy of the left, who are vicious as a matter of course but scream like stuck pigs when one of their own is even mildly attacked. Again, compare being raped with barbed wire, or having your child's parentage questioned, to having your head photoshopped onto the body of a Bond girl.

maxutils said...

Dolores? Mulva?

maxutils said...

Good thing you're not our pop culture whiz, Darren. On "Seinfeld," one episode features Jerry's effort to remember the name of a woman he hooked up with, the only clue being that it "rhymes with a female body part." Mulva is his initial guess; Dolores is the correct answer.

Darren said...

Make it a Star Trek question and I'll get it.