Friday, April 01, 2005

Bilingual Education, Part I

Here's the first message I sent the list:

9/2/02:

I'm starting my 2nd year in my new school district,
and one condition of employment was getting my CLAD
credential/certification. (For those of you outside
of California, it has something to do with the ability
to teach English language learners.) To be honest, I
don't even know what the acronym stands for and
although I could look it up, I don't care to.

When the district, working through Sacramento State,
offered me 15 units of graduate courses in
bilingual/multicultural courses, TUITION AND BOOKS
PAID, I accepted. I figured I may as well move over
on the salary scale at district expense if I have to
take all these classes. I have two classes this
semester, two next semester, and at least one next
summer.

Wednesday night's class is Introduction to Bilingual
Education. Thursday night's class is Bilingualism in
the Classroom.

I'll keep you posted.

***************************************

Turns out CLAD stands for Cross-cultural, Language, and Academic Development. And the state only requires 12 units to get the certificate; Sac State required 15 for its program. I ended up dropping the unnecessary course in the 2nd semester.

No comments: