Friday, January 07, 2022

Lethargy

For many years now, my coworkers and I have met after school on Fridays for happy hour, which we call 7th Period.  In all those years we're only on our 3rd "captain", who takes an informal poll each week--which usually looks something like "Where does everyone want to go this Friday?" at lunchtime--and then sends out an email to the entire staff inviting them to show up.  We have a rotation of restaurants and bars near school.

Today I mentioned to the captain that I just wasn't feeling 7th Period today.  That started a chorus of similar comments, to the point where no 7th Period was even scheduled.  Almost 10% of our teachers, 2 of our 4 administrators, and a sizeable number of students are out (many having tested positive for the 'rona), and the constant drumbeat of 'rona 'rona 'rona emails and requests to cover classes and having to be mask-Nazis and passing out 'rona testing kits for the students to take home and the rumors of shutting down the school--they're all taking a toll.  We're just tired.  Not necessarily physically, but certainly psychologically, tired.

So many of us were too tired to get a drink and a burger after school that we didn't even plan a 7th Period today.  This is almost unheard of for us.

2 comments:

Randomizer said...

I understand. It feels like the whole country is mildly depressed. Particularly in education, but I think, everywhere. It's people getting Covid, the people in charge responding to Covid and everybody else responding to the ineptitude of the people in charge. Everything is broken and we're finding out much of it wasn't in very good shape before Covid. It's exhausting.

Friends I've had for forty years, and in some cases, longer, get together a few times per year. A summer picnic, a dinner and movie outing, and New Year's Eve. In that span, different people couldn't attend due to other commitments, but we've always had the New Year's Eve party. This year, we didn't. There is no real reason. Nobody is sick, most are vaccinated and have had Covid, but we all felt it. Most of us are healthy and happily retired, but we are worn down.

This is what bothers me most about this deep malaise we are in. Even the bedrock social ties are broken. I considered lobbying for a smaller New Year's Eve party to keep the tradition, but didn't end up acting on the thought. I wonder if any of your teachers felt like a couple of people should get a burger and beer for the look of the thing.

I feel like the routine social traditions are critical right now, but I'm not sure I care enough to follow through.

Ellen K said...

I think either COVID or the vaccines have impacted many of us over 45 in a very negative way. My husband-who still plays soccer and remains active as possible-has been manifesting with fatigue. Granted we're retired and 65, but we've never been so lethargic. Due to my Mom's passing and all that entails, I am on a mild anti-depressant, but I find myself falling asleep during the day for no reason. Many of our friends say the same. It's as if we've all been put on some sedative without our knowledge.