Sunday, November 01, 2020

A Fat Man's Conan

 A couple weeks ago I was given a box of my brother's trading cards and comic books.  Inside I found these 3, and boy did that take me back:

Would it surprise you to learn that a lot of us read comic books at West Point?  In addition to Marx' Communist Manifesto and Sun Tzu's The Art of War and Lord-knows-what-other-major-works, many of us read comic books.  And Groo was mine.  My best friend and I would walk down to the PX every month as soon as the new issue arrived, and it was a big deal to get back to the barracks and read it.

Groo was as great a warrior as Conan, but was a nice guy and a little clueless.  When he had to open up a Number 9 can of whoop-ass on someone, the artist let us know what was going on but skipped the gore.  Good always triumphed, and there was a moral at the end of each issue.

My kinda comic.  Groo-oo-oo-oo-oo!

4 comments:

Pseudotsuga said...

Did I err?

Darren said...

Nice!

Joshua Sasmor said...

The entire Groo canon is available online/digitally. I re-read them all myself. My favorite is Groo cameo in Usagi Yojimbo during Stan Sakai's retelling of "Lone Wolf and Cub": https://usagiyojimbo.fandom.com/wiki/File:Groo_-_Lone_Rabbit_and_Child.png

Darren said...

I did not know that, thanks!