Friday, October 23, 2020

De-Photomath-ification

Photomath is a very cool app--you hold your phone over a math problem, the app reads the problem, and then it gives you a step-by-step solution as to how to solve the problem.  That's great in some contexts, it's absolutely dismal if you're a teacher trying to determine if a student knows how to solve a math problem.

The last test in one of my classes had such obvious rampant cheating that I sent an email to all the parents.  Of the half-dozen responses I got, all were supportive of my efforts to keep the testing as clean as possible.  I was very pleased to get those responses.

But what about the next test?

I took out the test yesterday and used Photomath on all the applicable problems.  Seeing how Photomath solved a problem told me how to alter the problem so that using Photomath was useless.  And I did this to all but the word problems.

I learned that sometimes Photomath glitches. It writes some things "goofy", or it makes an outright mistake.  I opted not to change those problems--if I see student work that looks "goofy", or makes the same error as Photomath makes, I'll consider that strong evidence of cheating.

For all intents and purposes, I have de-Photomath-ified the test.

I don't believe in trying to trap students in mistakes.  Prior to the test I'll notify their parents about what I've done.  I'll explain what I did above, letting them know that I'm being vigilant in ensuring as much academic integrity as I can.  I'll also ask them to supervise their student's test-taking as much as is practicable.

We'll see how it turns out.

No comments: