Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Changes To My Teaching

 I've been in this business for over 20 years, but every once in awhile I still come across some technique that I think is valuable enough to add to my teaching repertoire.  Last weekend i came across such a technique on Instagram, of all places.

Often, when covering new material, I'll periodically ask, "Are there any questions?"  Often I'm met with silence, so I move on.  I know in my heart that's not the best course of action, but I do it because I didn't have an alternative.

I switched to, "What questions do you have?"  Almost as often I would still be met with silence.

Now I say, "We'll move on after I answer two questions from you."  For whatever reason, that wording causes students to ask clarifying questions.  I don't know why, but it does.

Yes, someone could ask, "What's your favorite color?"  I'd answer the question but then redirect:  "I still need two questions about this material", implying that I'd implied that the questions must be about what we're learning.  :-)

At the very least, there is much less awkward silence during our online instruction.  At the most, it's driving students to seek a better understanding of what we're learning.  Win-win!  Now I just need to do it enough times to make it part of my teaching habit.

8 comments:

David said...

I have been doing this for years. Whenever I introduce a project or review for a test, I will say "We will move on after I answered X intelligent questions that you may have about test/project." Some kid sometimes asks "When is it due?" after I said it 5 times plus it is written on the board and I will say "next Tuesday; now I still need X intelligent questions." I will also hold up my fingers as we are counting down. Many times they will ask a question I never even thought of.

Anna A said...

One technique that I used when I was part of a team teaching teenagers religion was "Stump the teacher" (They had to know the answer, so they would know if I answered correctly. It was great fun for all, even if I did get some questions like "How many lights are in the church."

LeftCoastRef said...

I like this. I am stealing it. Maybe this will help Chemistry kids process a little more.

mmazenko said...

Great point.

Several years ago after moving into a partial administrative role, I began noticing something about my building principal: he always ended by asking "What questions do you have for me?"

Not quite what you mention, but even that subtle shift from "are there any" to "what are the questions you actually have" has a subtle but significant impact on an audience.

Raymond Matson said...

Oooo I like this. I'm definitely going to try this with my students!

Darren said...

What are you up to now, Raymond?

Raymond Matson said...

I'm down in Riverside and just started my second year at UCR. Finished all of my qualifying exams my first year woot! Getting those out of the way early is a big relief so I can start working on research sooner rather than later. I've been trying to work in representation theory since I love all that abstract nonsense :) Part of my financial package includes teaching and TAing so I've really enjoyed reading your pedagogy posts!

Darren said...

Glad to hear you're doing so well :-)