Thursday, October 01, 2020

A 3-Day Weekend

We started school in mid-August.  A couple years ago, someone in our district determined that right about now is when teachers start taking extra days off.  To combat that, they first gave us a random 4-day weekend in each semester, and a couple years later that's changed to a random 3-day weekend each semester.  This weekend is our 3-day weekend.  

The thinking was that if we had an extra day off, we wouldn't need to take off work.  Sounds smart--yet not so.  Too many people take off an extra day and make it a 4-day weekend! 

My niece is getting married Saturday so I can't hitch up the trailer and go anywhere.  Guess I get a wedding plus a regular 2-day weekend.

Which completely screws up lesson planning.

We have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd periods on Monday, and 4th, 5th, and 6th periods on Tuesday.  This coming Monday is no school, and I teach the same course 2nd and 4th periods.  My options are to have my courses at different places in the curriculum (remember, we've already lost a Monday due to Labor Day), or to have a "standalone" lesson for 4th period on Tuesday.  Thankfully we have a Friday off after Veterans Day in November (that's 4th-6th periods) so I can give the same standalone lesson to 2nd period on Thursday of that week.

Heck with it.  I'm going to enjoy my weekend.  I'm working hard enough to have earned it!

1 comment:

guest said...

The college I went to always started on a Thursday. That seems really strange until you factor in Thanksgiving Break, which takes away a Ths and Fri. Starting then means everything evens out by the end of term.

--Ann in LA