Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Miracle

I've posted before about the contact lens I wear at night; it reshapes my eye so that I have 20/20 vision during the day.  I got my first one in 2017, one of my two "congratulations on earning a master's degree" presents for myself.  I think that, before yesterday, I was on my 2nd such lens.

I've noticed recently that, even after wearing the lens, my vision wasn't what it was supposed to be--how much of that could come from having to stare at a computer so much during distance teaching?  Anyway, I went to the eye doctor last week and my vision in the corrected eye has deteriorated to 20/70.  Not good.

When I got that 2nd lens I was told that would probably be the last one.  If my eye got any worse, it couldn't be corrected with this only-wear-it-at-night lens any longer, and I'd have to go back to glasses or daily wear contacts.  Having good eyesight is both liberating and enjoyable, and I'd prepared myself for the the necessity of glasses and/or contacts.

Last week my doctor told me that there had been some technological improvements in the type of lens I wear, and he wanted to check with the manufacturer to see if there was something we could do.  He ordered a lens for me, it arrived and I picked it up yesterday, and I wore it last night.

This morning there was a noticeable improvement in my vision.  My appointment this morning confirmed that; after only 1 night of wearing the lens, my vision had improved to 20/30.  He expects to get very close to 20/20 after a few more nights of wearing, after my eye reshapes to this lens.  Wearing it every night should allow me to keep that vision for the foreseeable future.

Being able to see like this is not only a blessing, it's a miracle--and I am indeed thankful.

No comments: