Thursday, June 18, 2020

I'm Gonna Be A Student Again

We have a medical "career and technical education" pathway for students at our school.

I need "hours" of continuing education in order to move on the pay scale.

I petitioned, and my district approved, for me to take Calculus for Biology and Medicine 1 at the local community college.  4 units, which should equate to 60 hours of continuing ed.  I need 150 hours within 5 years to move to the next higher pay column.

Yes, I've long since taken and passed Calc 1.  What I hope to get out of taking this course is
  • a thorough review of Calculus,
  • applications to bio and medicine, so I can show our medical CTE students its uses, and
  • experience of how I might better conduct an online math class, as Fall 2020 courses will all be online.
Doctors make the worst patients, I hope this teacher doesn't make the worst student!

My registration date/time is next Wednesday.  I hope they accept my prerequisite documentation before then so I can register right away!

Update, 6/27/20:  I got home from a trip today and hadn't received word that the math department had approved my having met the prerequisite course--which I teach at high school! But I was able to register and pay for my class today anyway.  The book hasn't been identified yet, I wonder how much it will cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Congratulations!