Saturday, August 18, 2018

The End of an Epic Quest

I have a friend whose parents adopted him at birth.  He's known forever that he's adopted, and we've known each other since 1st grade. 

He was a dutiful son, and his parents were doting.  They deserved each other, and in the best of ways.

But of course he always wondered about his biological parents.  It was certainly nothing against the parents who raised him, but I wonder if there isn't some biological urge to know.  We're roughly the same age, and I'm kind of old, so he's wondered for a very long time.  His parents weren't forthcoming about his biological parents until late in their lives, and some of the information they had wasn't all that accurate.  Still, he wondered.  And sometimes searched, but to no avail.

Last year he did a 23&Me DNA test, and shortly after that received an email saying something to the effect of, "This test says you're my brother, is that possible?"

A few months ago I drove him to a city about 4 hours from here so he could meet some of his new-found siblings--I didn't think someone should drive that far alone when dealing with so much anxiety.  Thankfully their meeting went off without a hitch.

This weekend he drove further, but on his own.  He met another sibling, as well as his biological father.  He sent me a picture.  I wonder which of us had the bigger smile as he told me about the meeting.  And to think that he's gone from being an only child to having siblings, and nieces and nephews!

How must it feel, to reach the literal and absolute end of a lifelong search?

No comments: