Thursday, February 08, 2018

Accessibility

We were told at our staff meeting today that if we want to continue using our school web sites (which is encouraged as an effective way to keep students and parents informed about homework, test dates, etc., as well as having files that can be downloaded for student use), then we'll have to undergo training on how to make our web sites accessible to everyone.  They mentioned colors and font sizes and the like, so that the disabled can more easily see what we post--how are the blind going to be able to read the homework listed on my web site?  If that is necessary, then it's above my pay grade, and the district needs to do more than have us watch a training video on the subject.  And can't people with seeing difficulties just enlarge the view on their screens, as I do so often with my not-so-young eyes?

If I don't complete the training, I won't be allowed to use my school web site.  I won't be allowed to keep students and parents informed about homework and tests and project due dates and the like.

Part of me says screw 'em.  Thank you, ACLU, which apparently has been filing suit up and down the state on this issue.

We all know that I won't screw 'em.  But I should.

You know what would solve this problem?  Give us a web site template with defaults that will satisfy the ACLU.  Then I don't have to do anything more, I don't have to waste school time I could better spend any number of ways, and everyone gets what they want.  Perhaps that's too reasonable a solution.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Yeah, that seems like something that should be done at the school level, with a trained person providing templates. Piecemeal, person by person, is not going to work.

lgm said...

Did they pick a particular screen reader that your site design must be compatible with?