Friday, April 24, 2009

Banana Republic

From Seattle:

King County has now settled my public records lawsuit for $225,000, one of the largest settlements for public records violations in state history.

The lawsuit stemmed from my December 2004 request for a list of all voters who voted in the November 2004 election. The county did not satisfy my request in full until January 2007.

The documents that they eventually provided to me revealed that county election officials unlawfully counted hundreds of ineligible ballots in the 2004 election: a multiple of Christine Gregoire's 133-vote "margin of victory" over Dino Rossi in the contested gubernatorial race. Documentation of these illegal votes was withheld from discovery in the election contest trial and not released to me until months after the trial. Consequently, the trial was conducted in ignorance of these potentially outcome-changing illegal votes.

Additional documents that were released last month in discovery for my case confirmed that county officials both knew more about the illegal vote counting than they had previously acknowledged, and also knowingly withheld responsive documents from me during 2005 and 2006.


I genuinely believe that one of our two political parties has a "by any means necessary" approach to winning elections. If this continues we will become a banana republic.

As an army officer and as a teacher, I had to take oaths to protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. While I'm not entirely sure how to implement that oath, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the time for implementation draws near.

1 comment:

Ellen K said...

That also explain some very close votes in places like Minnesota and even Ohio. But will Holder look into it? Nope.