Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Campus Buzz

I have no commentary on this story.

Most folks probably think Texans would have a simple way to handle a major insect infestation: Kill them varmints.

But officials at the University of Houston are bucking the stereotype when it comes to a colony of up to 100,000 bees that have taken up residence inside a classroom building.

They hired a beekeeper and on Wednesday he gently and humanely removed the beehive so it can be relocated to a better home on a wooded part of campus.

Although no one has reported being stung yet, school officials said they couldn't take any chances.

7 comments:

Eric W. said...

The Aussies are on the PC bandwagon...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22761386-2,00.html

Ho ho ho is derogatory towards women, apparently.

Darren said...

I read that. It's not near as bad as my un-PC joke that ends with a Native American holding a 2x4, saying "Me check'um for bees!"

Anonymous said...

Darren

I'll ask some of the UH officers about this...this is crazy!

allenm said...

I for one am pleased that the university is showing sensitivity to the needs of apio-Americans.

Unknown said...

That's probably what I would have done. Bees are harmless. Wasps, particularly hornets, I would have gotten out the Black Flag, though.

I did get stung by bees -- bumbly bees -- twice in one day a month ago, for the same reason, and the first time I've even heard of anybody being stung by a bumbly bee. We were driving through the country and my window was down, and my thumb itched so I rubbed it on my leg. Unfortunately, there just happened to be a bumbly bee under my thumb. Twice, in one day.

By the way, it was only a little painful for about five minutes.

Anonymous said...

>Bees are harmless.<

Oh, they're much better than harmless. They're extremely useful in agricultural pollination. Killing 100,000 bees would be idiotic.

Ellen K said...

There was a bat infestation at one college in south Texas. I wonder how those were removed. You have to remember that most of south Texas is controlled by reps who graduated from the most liberal university in the state-the University of Texas at Austin, nicknamed "Berkley on the Brazos".If you read anything like this coming from Austin, you can simply move on and read anything from the People's Republic of San Francisco and get the same drift.